- [email protected]
I am an experienced and passionate web developer mostly specialising in front-end technologies but with a portfolio of full stack applications. I have led on award-winning projects and worked for clients, charities and corporations, building high impact and high traffic web applications.
Web development skills
- Excellent knowledge of back-end technologies such as PHP, Python, Oracle, MySQL, Node.js and SITS:Vision.
- Central roles in project planning and management, using a variety of tools in agile and waterfall methodologies.
- Regular usage of automation, version control, APIs, responsive design, accessibility, user experience and progressive enhancement.
|March 2019 – Current||
Ministry of Justice, Full Stack Developer
I develop public-facing services for the Office of the Public Guardian
|September 2018 – March 2019||
Kadfire, Full Stack Developer
I led development on software used by train operating companies to manage and publish timetables.
|Jan 2016 – September 2018
Jul 2013 – Jan 2016 (Developer)
The University of Edinburgh, Analyst Developer
I designed and built applications focussed on the student record and its usage throughout the university, provided support for colleagues and played a central role in establishing the university's development community.
|Jul 2010 – Jul 2014||Croft Media, Developer|
|Jun – Aug 2012||The University of Edinburgh, Web Developer|
|Aug 2011||BBC, Volunteer Runner|
|Summers 2008 – 2010||NHS Bristol, Clerical staff|
- I was a regular contributor to my department's technical blog at the University of Edinburgh.
- I was a member of the SITS:Vision Technical Working Group, which meets twice annually to review and contribute to ongoing development of the SITS:Vision product.
- As one of the organisers of the University of Edinburgh Front-End Development Community, I helped organise and present lightning talk events and speeches by industry leaders.
Speaking and presentations
- I spoke at the Student Records Officers' Conference in 2017 to discuss a user-centred approach used in redeveloping an aged system, and the increase in engagement and data quality that it gave us.
- In 2013, I presented at the Enhancement Themes Conference for quality assurance in higher education about Path, an application I'd developed to help in course and programme management.
- I gave a talk in 2012 to the Edinburgh University Maths Society about use of Bayesian statistics in online translation.
- For six years, I hosted weekly pub quizzes in Edinburgh, including one of Edinburgh's largest regular quiz events.
MA (Hons) Mathematics – Second-class honours (2:1)
A-level: Mathematics (A), Spanish (A), ICT (B), Physics (B)
AS-level: Further mathematics (A)